Wednesday, October 22, 2008

We're Baaack!





We had a wonderful time in Pennsylvania visiting with Derreck and my parents. Fall is the most beautiful time in PA, the leaves were the brightest reds, oranges, yellows, and even some purples. So beautiful, so serene. We did an awful lot in those nearly 3 weeks, and I'll highlight some of it. Really, it was very hard for me to leave - not only did I have to say bye to my parents, whom I love dearly and don't see nearly often enough, but Derreck and I had to separate again. I am in a slump back in Hobbs. But the next time I see D, he'll be home for good! (For now!)

We did so many things - Derreck and I took 4 days and went off on our own. We went to see Beth and her family and spent the night with them. It was a great visit, but too short. He and I then went to a B&B in Rockwood, PA. That was our base - we went and toured Frank Lloyd Wright's Kentuck Knob and Falling Water. WOW! What an amazing architect. I am still in awe of Falling Water. What a magnificent place. It's wonderful that they have made it into a museum so that many people can share it, it's kind of a shame that it is not a home. I'd love to live there!!! We also stopped at the Flight 93 Memorial Chapel and the Memorial Site. Though sad, a very important part of our trip. The Chapel was completed by the 1st anniversary of 9/11, done by private citizens. It was beautiful and honorable. The actual memorial site is just a fence and a big flag out at the crash site. It's supposed to be completed sometime in the future. (?) Both sites were very sobering. We need to remember and not ever forget those heroes. 

Another trip we and the kids went to Niagra Falls, Canada. It's so awesome and we went on the Maid of the Mist. I had gone on probably 20 years ago, but don't remember getting so soaked! It is an awesome adventure - getting that close to the Falls. We all loved our time in Niagra Falls. 

We then stopped in Buffalo, NY to eat at the Anchor Bar, home of the original Buffalo Wings. We got the hot sauce, but maybe I've been in NM too long - it was not hot. But still, the wings were good, larger than I'd had, cooked well and the flavor was good, just not hot.

While in Buffalo, we stopped at a Naval Ship Museum. It was awesome. We toured WWII ships and a submarine. The first ship was the USS Sulivans which was smaller, and the second was the USS Arkansas. The sub was the USS Croker. We all enjoyed it.

We went to several fall festivals, one at Peak and Peak, NY and others scattered over NW PA. We bought some wine from a local vineyard - wonderful!

We had a blast with Ashley and Kaitlin, my awesome nieces. It was great getting to see them and really spend some time with them again. We hope they can come for a visit next summer!

And I can't go home without spending time on Lake Erie. There's no place like it to me. We gathered rocks, shells and beach glass for hours. Wandered up and down the shore. Stood and watched the waves. Got wet. Laughed. And of course stopped at Peggy Gray's Candies on the way home.

No comments: